Another year has passed, and in one month we will be gathering for another Missouri Valley Friends Conference. We are very pleased to have John Calvi as our resource person this year.
There are many other things that I look forward to each year when I return to MVFC. I look forward to being at the Chihowa Retreat Center. When I pull in the drive and see the building sitting there in it’s beautiful surroundings, welcoming me, it feels like coming home, and I know that I will soon be seeing some of the dearest people in the world to me, people that I would never see otherwise. There will be wonderful resource people challenging us, food and fellowship, books to browse, conversation, worship, the lively presence of teenagers, the vitality of children, and family night ending with the chucky-chuck, a campfire, and s’mores.
Life is busy. There are so many things that demand our time and attention. (Anne Collins has been waiting for a week for me to get this note written!) We all have to choose which of the many things that are important to us will receive our time and energy. For me, one of those things is Missouri Valley. When I miss a year because I have to make another choice, I feel like I have missed out on one of the most meaningful experiences of my year.
I really don’t expect everyone to feel that way. But I suppose it is because I feel so strongly about it that I do want Friends to come and spend this time together. So, I invite you to come to Missouri Valley Friends Conference this Fall. If you have already made that choice, then I will see you there! If you have come in the past, but it was just not quite what you would have liked, come and give it another chance. Maybe things have changed, or you could become involved and help make the changes that will bring other Friends back. And if you have never been to MVFC, then by all means, come at least once and see what it may have to offer you.
For a few days, we get to live in a loving and accepting community. We will listen together, talk together, worship together, laugh together, work together, and of course, eat together. We go home a little tired, but we are better for having been together.
I hope to see you there.
In Peace, Donna Young Clerk, Missouri Valley Friends Conference
*** E-MAILS, ANYONE? *** Your newsletter editor can send batch e-mails easily, and save MVFC the cost of postage. Do let me know if you receive this mailing, but would be willing to have your info come to an e-mail address instead. Anne Collins, podkayn@ksu.edu, 785-532-3951 (work), 785-565-1075 (home).
*** LET’S EAT *** We are truly blessed to have our last 3 years’ cook, Rose Souter, returning. That alone is reason enough to come! Menus will have non-meat choices, and I can tell you from personal experience that she will make special dishes for those with special needs (I’m allergic to gluten).
Friday night is always a potluck. Those who don’t have so far to travel are reminded that bringing some hearty dishes would provide more for all. Anne Collins (me) promises to make Mushroom Soup Alfredo again (it has cheese and egg). Ginger’s Eggplant Casserole is also a perennial hit, and Ginger’s told me she’s bringing it, even though they’re moving the week before!
*** TEEN SCHEDULE *** Loring Henderson will lead a volunteer activity in Lawrence. Activity is certain, because our Minister of Mirth, Kenton Allen, promises to bring another group of Foreign Exchange students.
*** CHILDREN *** Child care will be available for attenders with children who pre-register for the conference. Please let us know as soon as possible if you are bringing children or teens so that accommodations can be made for each age group. A lot of planning goes into providing child care, so please help us make this an enjoyable experience for your children or teens by giving us ample time to prepare for them.
*** INTEREST GROUPS *** Sign-up sheets will be available at the conference. You don’t have to be an expert. You can facilitate a group on a topic that you have some background in, or even just something that you want to learn more about. John Calvi will be leading a group on QUIT, The Quaker Initiative to End Torture.
*** BOOK SHOP *** Due to a conflict, Rachel MacNair will not be able to manage the books store for us this year, so unless someone steps up to the plate, we will not have the FGC books available for sale. However, if there are authors among us, and you want to bring your books to sell, please do! You will need to facilitate the sale of your own items. Also, you can still bring those books, CDs, DVDs, and videotapes you no longer want. Proceeds from these items will go to MVFC.
*** QUAKER MARKET *** We’ll be continuing the Quaker Market this year. If you pursue an Art or Craft, and you would like to sell or even just show your work, please bring samples with you to display. We’ll have a table set up in the main room of the lodge. It’s fun and interesting to see what Friends do to express their creativity!
*** DIRECTIONS *** >From the junction of US Highways 59 & 24 (northwest of Lawrence & northeast of Topeka), go north on 59 for 3 miles to a gravel road on your left marked "Camp Chihowa." The camp is ½ mile down that road. You may unload in front of the main lodge, but please drive to the parking lot east of the lodge. Use the driveway on the west side of the lot to go to the far end, then park diagonally as you come back through the lot. Phone #s: Main Lodge: 785-597-5703; Caretaker: 785-597-5415. *** ADULT SCHEDULE ***
Friday, Sept. 28, 2007: 4:30 Staff and steering committee meeting 5:00-6:30 Registration 6:30-7:30 Potluck and cleanup by teens 7:30-8:30 Friends gather to share events of the past year and announcements 8:30-9:00 John Calvi shares a little about himself and his program for the weekend 9:00-10:00 Fellowship 10:00 *Quiet Curfew* Friends are welcome to stay up as late as they wish, but please observe quietly indoors and out after 10:00 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 29, 2007: 7:00-8:00 Breakfast 8:00-8:30 Breakfast cleanup and Fellowship 8:30-10:00 John Calvi 10:00-10:15 Break 10:15-12:00 John Calvi 12:00-1:30 Lunch and cleanup 1:30-3:00 John Calvi 3:00-3:15 Break 3:15-5:45 Meeting for Worship with a Concern for Business 5:45-6:45 Supper 6:45-7:30 Supper cleanup and Fellowship 7:30-8:30 Talent Show--Singing, comedy, poetry, music, skits, etc. Come prepared to share your special talent! Festivities will be lead by our rekowned "Minister of Mirth," Kenton Allen. 8:30-10:00 Bonfire, S'mores, etc. (die-hards are often up ‘til midnight.) 10:00 *Quiet Curfew*
Sunday, September 30. 2007: 7:00-8:30 Breakfast and cleanup 8:30-8:55 Interest group I (followed by a 5 min. break) 9:00-9:55 Interest group II (followed by a 5 min. break) John Calvi will convene an interest group on The Quaker Initiative to End Torture (QUIT). Anyone may sign up to convene an interest group during these times. 10:00-10:30 Break 10:30-11:30 Meeting for Worship 11:30-12:00 Report from Teens, Reading of the Epistle 12:00-1:00 Lunch 1:00- ??? Cleaning of Facilities. Helping hands make happy hearts. This task is much easier and fun if everyone shares in the cleaning. Please schedule at least 20 minutes of cleaning at the end of your stay so we may all travel safely home together. As way opens: Departure
Our next meeting will be the first Sunday in October at the UFM. For the remaining Sundays in October, we will meet at Stephen and Debbie's house on Forrest Lane.
On November 11th, the meeting appointed me as its representative to the Friends General Conference's Central Committee. I will be attending the Central Committee's annual meeting in Baltimore, and most likely the FGC Annual Gathering in PA. I may also join the subcommittee on Interfaith Relations or perhaps the Publications subcommittee, which oversees Quaker Books.
I will do my best to represent our meeting, and I'm grateful for the opportunity to be involved with FGC in this way. Thanks everyone!
5 comments:
Meeting will not be at Ken and Marka's on the 28th because they will be attending the Missouri Valley Conference. Any volunteers to host meeting?
Debbie and I will be in Dallas that weekend, so we can't volunteer for it.
Friends,
Another year has passed, and in one month we will be gathering for
another Missouri Valley Friends Conference. We are very pleased to
have John Calvi as our resource person this year.
There are many other things that I look forward to each year when I
return to MVFC. I look forward to being at the Chihowa Retreat Center.
When I pull in the drive and see the building sitting there in it’s
beautiful surroundings, welcoming me, it feels like coming home, and I
know that I will soon be seeing some of the dearest people in the world
to me, people that I would never see otherwise. There will be
wonderful resource people challenging us, food and fellowship, books to
browse, conversation, worship, the lively presence of teenagers, the
vitality of children, and family night ending with the chucky-chuck, a
campfire, and s’mores.
Life is busy. There are so many things that demand our time and
attention. (Anne Collins has been waiting for a week for me to get
this note written!) We all have to choose which of the many things
that are important to us will receive our time and energy. For me, one
of those things is Missouri Valley. When I miss a year because I have
to make another choice, I feel like I have missed out on one of the
most meaningful experiences of my year.
I really don’t expect everyone to feel that way. But I suppose it is
because I feel so strongly about it that I do want Friends to come and
spend this time together. So, I invite you to come to Missouri Valley
Friends Conference this Fall. If you have already made that choice,
then I will see you there! If you have come in the past, but it was
just not quite what you would have liked, come and give it another
chance. Maybe things have changed, or you could become involved and
help make the changes that will bring other Friends back. And if you
have never been to MVFC, then by all means, come at least once and see
what it may have to offer you.
For a few days, we get to live in a loving and accepting community. We
will listen together, talk together, worship together, laugh together,
work together, and of course, eat together. We go home a little tired,
but we are better for having been together.
I hope to see you there.
In Peace,
Donna Young
Clerk, Missouri Valley Friends Conference
*** E-MAILS, ANYONE? ***
Your newsletter editor can send batch e-mails easily, and save MVFC the
cost of postage. Do let me know if you receive this mailing, but would
be willing to have your info come to an e-mail address instead. Anne
Collins, podkayn@ksu.edu, 785-532-3951 (work), 785-565-1075 (home).
*** LET’S EAT ***
We are truly blessed to have our last 3 years’ cook, Rose Souter,
returning. That alone is reason enough to come! Menus will have
non-meat choices, and I can tell you from personal experience that she
will make special dishes for those with special needs (I’m allergic to
gluten).
Friday night is always a potluck. Those who don’t have so far to travel
are reminded that bringing some hearty dishes would provide more for
all. Anne Collins (me) promises to make Mushroom Soup Alfredo again
(it has cheese and egg). Ginger’s Eggplant Casserole is also a
perennial hit, and Ginger’s told me she’s bringing it, even though
they’re moving the week before!
*** TEEN SCHEDULE ***
Loring Henderson will lead a volunteer activity in Lawrence. Activity
is certain, because our Minister of Mirth, Kenton Allen, promises to
bring another group of Foreign Exchange students.
*** CHILDREN ***
Child care will be available for attenders with children who
pre-register for the conference. Please let us know as soon as
possible if you are bringing children or teens so that accommodations
can be made for each age group. A lot of planning goes into providing
child care, so please help us make this an enjoyable experience for
your children or teens by giving us ample time to prepare for them.
*** INTEREST GROUPS ***
Sign-up sheets will be available at the conference. You don’t have to
be an expert. You can facilitate a group on a topic that you have some
background in, or even just something that you want to learn more
about. John Calvi will be leading a group on QUIT, The Quaker
Initiative to End Torture.
*** BOOK SHOP ***
Due to a conflict, Rachel MacNair will not be able to manage the books
store for us this year, so unless someone steps up to the plate, we
will not have the FGC books available for sale. However, if there are
authors among us, and you want to bring your books to sell, please do!
You will need to facilitate the sale of your own items. Also, you can
still bring those books, CDs, DVDs, and videotapes you no longer want.
Proceeds from these items will go to MVFC.
*** QUAKER MARKET ***
We’ll be continuing the Quaker Market this year. If you pursue an Art
or Craft, and you would like to sell or even just show your work,
please bring samples with you to display. We’ll have a table set up in
the main room of the lodge. It’s fun and interesting to see what
Friends do to express their creativity!
*** DIRECTIONS ***
>From the junction of US Highways 59 & 24 (northwest of Lawrence &
northeast of Topeka), go north on 59 for 3 miles to a gravel road on
your left marked "Camp Chihowa." The camp is ½ mile down that road.
You may unload in front of the main lodge, but please drive to the
parking lot east of the lodge. Use the driveway on the west side of the
lot to go to the far end, then park diagonally as you come back through
the lot. Phone #s: Main Lodge: 785-597-5703; Caretaker: 785-597-5415.
*** ADULT SCHEDULE ***
Friday, Sept. 28, 2007:
4:30 Staff and steering committee meeting
5:00-6:30 Registration
6:30-7:30 Potluck and cleanup by teens
7:30-8:30 Friends gather to share events of the past year and
announcements
8:30-9:00 John Calvi shares a little about himself and his program
for the weekend
9:00-10:00 Fellowship
10:00 *Quiet Curfew* Friends are welcome to stay up as late as they
wish, but please observe quietly indoors and out after 10:00 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 29, 2007:
7:00-8:00 Breakfast
8:00-8:30 Breakfast cleanup and Fellowship
8:30-10:00 John Calvi
10:00-10:15 Break
10:15-12:00 John Calvi
12:00-1:30 Lunch and cleanup
1:30-3:00 John Calvi
3:00-3:15 Break
3:15-5:45 Meeting for Worship with a Concern for Business
5:45-6:45 Supper
6:45-7:30 Supper cleanup and Fellowship
7:30-8:30 Talent Show--Singing, comedy, poetry, music, skits, etc.
Come prepared to share your special talent! Festivities will be lead
by our rekowned "Minister of Mirth," Kenton Allen.
8:30-10:00 Bonfire, S'mores, etc. (die-hards are often up ‘til
midnight.)
10:00 *Quiet Curfew*
Sunday, September 30. 2007:
7:00-8:30 Breakfast and cleanup
8:30-8:55 Interest group I (followed by a 5 min. break)
9:00-9:55 Interest group II (followed by a 5 min. break)
John Calvi will convene an interest group on The Quaker Initiative to
End Torture (QUIT). Anyone may sign up to convene an interest group
during these times.
10:00-10:30 Break
10:30-11:30 Meeting for Worship
11:30-12:00 Report from Teens, Reading of the Epistle
12:00-1:00 Lunch
1:00- ??? Cleaning of Facilities. Helping hands make happy hearts.
This task is much easier and fun if everyone shares in the cleaning.
Please schedule at least 20 minutes of cleaning at the end of your stay
so we may all travel safely home together.
As way opens: Departure
Meeting on the 28th is canceled.
Our next meeting will be the first Sunday in October at the UFM. For the remaining Sundays in October, we will meet at Stephen and Debbie's house on Forrest Lane.
The meeting's web page (www.manhattanquakers.org) has now been updated for September/October.
On November 11th, the meeting appointed me as its representative to the Friends General Conference's Central Committee. I will be attending the Central Committee's annual meeting in Baltimore, and most likely the FGC Annual Gathering in PA. I may also join the subcommittee on Interfaith Relations or perhaps the Publications subcommittee, which oversees Quaker Books.
I will do my best to represent our meeting, and I'm grateful for the opportunity to be involved with FGC in this way. Thanks everyone!
Post a Comment